Running a business of any size can be extremely fun and rewarding but there can seem to be an endless list of tasks to do. Business owners often find themselves with piles and piles of important documents that no longer have immediate use but could be vital in the future. In-house storage may seem like a good idea at first, but it can also lead to unnecessary clutter and an inefficient document management system.
Every document archiving company should have an exceptional and meticulous document management system. For a small fee, archiving companies relieve the burden of filing and prevent a stressful and frustrating build-up of documents in your valuable office space.
4 Reasons You Might Need File Storage
1. You need access to them for tax reasons but are unlikely to require them in the near future. By using an external document archiving service, you can gain quick access to a specific file that may be vital to getting that tax rebate.
2. You want to keep a record of the history of your business. A good example of a company that does this is Coca-Cola; they regularly look back at old records to try and connect with the spirit of the company and produce great promotional material.
3. You need to keep the documents for legal reasons. This is particularly true in Kenya where the government requires all accounting records to be kept for 7 years. Although, it is good business practice to keep records for 7 years anyway.
4. You have ceased working with a client but there is a chance you will work with them again in the future. Having easy access to the previous files can be a great way of showing the client you mean business.
The Importance of a Good Document Management System
Creating a document management system starts with asking yourself these 3 questions:
- How are the files going to be organised?
- Who will have access to these files?
- How can I guarantee the security of these files?
A poorly organised document management system can be worse than having no document management system. If there is a specific file you require but are simply unable to locate it, it can be very frustrating.
Furthermore, it is important to note that files can be used maliciously if they are not properly secured. Employees can often fall prey to bad, external actors and files can fall into the wrong hands.
If you are worried about achieving quality in any of the questions listed above then you should consider a respectable document archiving service for your business.